Thursday, February 18, 2010

Messy Interpreter Biz

Random interpreting story for the day:

So I was interpreting for a Deaf client today and they started to talk about the movie "DOOM." Sad day for me because it's one movie I have NEVER seen nor heard of. So the person was rambling on about it and then started talking about this one part where a character "ate a rose." Just bit the head clean off the ROSE!The person kept going on to say that thier mother was super grossed out by that part and blah blah blah. Me being the interpreter I am thought it was interesting but I still didn't think much of it...I mean, after all maybe the mom was a tree-hugger or something? Come to find out I had miss interpreted the whole thing...the person was signing RAT not ROSE. I felt kinda silly to say the least but I patched up my mistake and move on. It still doens't make a ton of sense that a character would eat a RAT either (or a ROSE). Finally the person got the reaction they wanted out of the story. It's pretty gross to eat a RAT and just kinda wierd to eat a ROSE. Two major different reactions with one simple mistake! Try telling someone in English that you bit of a roses head...they'll be confused... then tell them you bit of a rat's head and VOILA the grossed out "that's the nastiest thing ever" reaction you were looking for!

And trust me...

if you'd have been the interpreter you would've thought rose too.

No comments:

Post a Comment