Monday, January 24, 2011

Have you ever had one of those days that when you're done getting ready you think to yourself "wow, I'm ready to go back to bed?" I'm having one of those days. Let me explain.

As you may know, I've been sick since hubby's birthday on Thursday. My weekend to say the least was uneventful. It involved a lot of couch time, honey, and a few rolls of toilet paper on the back of my couch.

So last night, even though I still wasn't up to par I convinced myself that I wanted to work today. That I could endure the day with high school teens even though I'm among the living dead just so I would have to use one of my coveted sick days (even though I have plenty).

I crawled into bed at nine and snuggled up to David (because he so wonderfully goes to bed at the same time I do even if he isn't tired just so we can be together). As I stared off at my wall I could hear myself trying to choke down air through my clogged nose, sore throat, and mucus coated tonsils I thought about how proud I was that I got everything ready for the morning before I went to bed. My lunch was made, my clothes (down to my skivvy's) were set out, my saltwater, emergen-c, and drugs were ready for me to take. I knew it was going to be a rough morning so I prepared.

I wasn't prepared for my 1am wake up however. I woke up feeling miserable. More so than the 4 days that I had already endured. I was now hacking up a lung, nasal dripping grossness, and my sore throat was raging on. I rolled over thinking, "I'll fall asleep,no biggy."

2 am "It'll happen"

3 am "Any moment now..."

Finally at 3:30 I decided to call in to our sub system and text my boss (I waited till 4). David woke up so many times to ask if I was ok in mid-cough. I felt the worst for him. His sleep I'm sure was just as bad as mine, but he still went to work today.

At 4 I rolled out of bed to try and give David a little undisturbed sleep. I put in my sub notice, texted my boss, then curled up on the couch.

What did I think about for the next two hours waiting for David to wake?

"What witty thing should I put on facebook about my sickness? "(<---I'm not big into updates, but I wanted one)

"Dear Facebook friends, Chelsey is currently unable to preform any tasks required of her because she is now among the living dead, aka undead, aka, night walkers, aka zombies. If you would like to send your regards she would appreciate it if no zombie hunters came after her as she hopes to one day return to a living state. Sincerely, The Zombie formerly known as Chelsey Lynn"

"I wonder who leaves for work at 430, that must suck?"- as I heard a car drive past

"Hmmm would my best friend be mad if I texted her a joke right now?"

"Dear Facebook friends, why must none of you be awake to listen to me whine at 4am? I thought FB ruled the world, and yet no one is here?"

This kept up until 5:45 when my work alarm goes off (don't worry I don't get up until 6:05 normally). At that point I decided it was an adequate enough time from my last dose of medicine that I could take something else. Benadryl it was, down the hatch. Followed by a reluctant piece of plain ole' bread to make sure nothing got upset. It still did..I'm sure from my IV type drip coming out of my nose...

Finally as David left at 6:45 I crawled back into our bed with puppy in tow. I got 3 hours of decent sleep.

My question is: how do mothers do it?

Off the wall I know. I whined so much in the past 24 hours. I felt, and still feel, like I can barely lift my head. I took a shower only to end up right back here on my couch. As a woman who someday wants kids I want an answer. I know that moms have days exactly like this, and yet they still work as mommy. How do you do it? I can barely take care of myself!

Anyway, I just took a shower (it took me an hour and a half to go through the whole process because i was so slow) and it is now 3:08pm. I'm fully dressed for no reason. I'm sure the hubby won't let me go anywhere. And the only thing I can think about? Going back to bed. Getting dressed was a lot of work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment